Wednesday, October 27, 2010

People, you need sampled music in your life.

Let me start off by telling you what sampling is if you are not familiar with it:

Sampling is where you take a snippet of sound and use it for something else. This is mostly common in hip-hop and drum'n'bass. This is a technique that I personally have fallen in love with over the years, just because people are so god damn creative with their sampling sometimes. So today, I will link you some of my favourite sample-based songs.


Hip-hop:

I will start this one off with a song that an old friend of mine used in one of his movies about Snowblading/Snowboarding. The song is called "Children sing", and that is exactly what the sample is. It's children singing, sampled into a hip-hop beat. Have a listen and learn to love (Also, shameless plug to Claes and his White Label Entertainment for fucking awesome movies that deserves a watch).

Peace Won and Mr. Green - Children sing

The second song I want you to have a listen to is "Spaz out" by Army of the pharaohs. This song takes the main theme from Gladiator and make a hip-hop beat based on it. The lyrics might not be the best I've heard, but the beat is so fucking well made that it deserves a listen.


Army of the pharaohs - Spaz out


The last hip-hop song I will link you today is "Hits from the bong" by Cypress hill. This song uses a guitar sample from "Son of a preacher man" and makes the song so much more enjoyable. I have always loved Cypress hill, but this song is just so special due to that sample. Give it a listen, and just love it!


Cypress hill - Hits from the bong




Drum'n'Bass:

I will start drum'n'bass with what could be the BEST drum'n'bass song ever created: "Beautiful Lies" by B-Complex. This song samples a woman singing into a beautiful yet fast paced song that just makes me so relaxed every time I listen to it. Give it a listen and love it.

B-Complex - Beautiful lies


Second one will also be from B-Complex, this time "It's a funny world". In this song he samples the shit out of a AWESOME paino string and uses it so fucking well. The entire song is fast paced, loveable and the sample is just so awesome. Give it a listen and fall even more in love with B-Complex as an artist.


B-Complex - It's a funny world




Other:

I didn't want to place this one under drum'n'bass, nor hip-hop, because it is something of it's own. The entire song is just based of samples, and I fucking love every second of it. The song is called "Reflected in..." by Micha feat Drut. I heard it in a CSS fragmovie and couldn't stop listening to it once I got a hold of it. Just give it a listen and you will understand what I mean.

Micha feat Drut - Reflected in...


----------------------------

This is just SOME of the sampled music I love, but give them all a listen and you'll understand why you need it in your life. If you feel you don't need it, a simple daily dose of Vitamin C will suffice.

Signed,

Exxy a.k.a Sample-o-holic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment