Saturday, October 23, 2010

Exxy Reviews: Medal of Honor

I come to you today with both joy and sadness in my little gaming heart. A gaming series that I have always liked has taken the step towards being another "Call of Duty killer". But is that really a step in the right direction? That will be the goal of my review today; To prove if Medal of Honor does kill off the Call of Duty franchise.

I'm gonna split this review in two, one for multi-player, and one for single-player. The reason I do this, is because it feels like two COMPLETELY different games when it comes to MP and SP. So here we go!




Single-player:

Just like the Call of Duty series have done so far, the game splits up it's story between different characters. As I haven't finished the game completely, I can't say an exact number of how many characters you get to play, but so far I have played 3. Rabbit, Deuce, and Adams. Before we go any further, I would like to show you a picture of Deuce's partner in crime for the most part when you play him; Dusty.


Look at that sexy mother fucker. Viking beard and everything.


Anyways. The story that I've experienced so far is actually quite good. It's a bit rough in the edges and feels a bit like it's trying to knock off every major modern war movie (e.g. Black Hawk Down / Jarhead) but doesn't do it to such a degree that you feel that you want to turn the game off. You also have to remember that Allied Assault (the first Medal of Honor to be realeased for PC) pretty much ripped off the entire beach landing scene from Saving Private Ryan.


However, the thing that makes me like the single player alot is the way that the game handles and the nifty little features you find here and there. I'll give you a couple of examples:


- When sprinting towards cover and pressing the crouch key, your character SLIDES towards cover, making it easier to rush for cover in busy firefights.
- The aim-help isn't annoying like it's been in other FPS's that I've played for the console. It's actually helpful in this game.
- You have a lean button. I CANNOT PUSH THIS ENOUGH: GAMES NEED LEAN BUTTONS. This for the simple reason that no one (unless they have a death wish) puts their entire body out around a corner to have a peek.


How about AI? Well, I've been playing it on the "Normal" difficulty, and I must say that the AI is really well made. There are some parts where the AI has bugged out, but it's not "Walk-into-walls-hurr-durr"-stupid like the AI in Call of Duty has proven to be sometimes. They line up their shots and they do react to sounds if you fuck up and slip off a small edge. So the AI lives up to it's purpose.


I know this is only a rough review, but as I said, I haven't finished the single player, so I might give some additional comments in a future post about that.




Multi-player:

Alright, here comes the part that made me a little sad but happy at the same time.


The game was hyped up to be the "Potential Modern Warfare 2 killer!". With a goal like that to live up to, the game really needs to deliver and be original. However, the game isn't original in it's multiplayer. It's Bad Company 2 with killstreaks. This made me both sad and happy. Sad in the way that it's not original, creative or new. HOWEVER! I fucking love Bad Company 2, so the multi-player is really fucking awesome from my point of view when it comes to gameplay.


You have 5 modes to play:


Team Assault - Team Deathmatch pretty much.
Objective Raid - This is like a mix of Rush from Bad Company 2 and Search & Destroy from Modern Warfare 2. One team has to destroy two targets while the other team has to prevent this from happening.
Combat Mission - This is a gamemode I never really liked. It reminds me a bit of assault from Unreal Tournament. Get a series of points to push the defending team back.
Sector Control - This is just like Conquer from Bad Company 2 or Domination from Modern Warfare 2. Control a point, get points while it's controlled, reach the pointlimit to win.
Hardcore - This mixes a few of the game modes and makes the game retardedly realistic. Get hit once and you're dead. This is for those who, like the title says, are hardcore.

However, I must say that I really like that you can focus on the type of weapon you want to level. If you prefer SMG's, level Special Ops. If you prefer Rifles, level Rifleman etc. So that is a BIG plus in my oppinion.


When it comes to maps, I think most of them are good, but I feel that some maps are opted towards one faction depending on game mode. So it's a little balance issue I feel, but hopefully it gets fixed in a minor patch or something.




Verdict:

Alright, time to sum this up.

If you like Bad Company 2 and really love warmovies, this game is completely fucking awesome for you. The gameplay is nice, the game itself is nice, the only downside being that it's overhyped in the way that it's a MW2-killer.


So my verdict is:


8/10 - Defo not a shit game, but could've done with some minor balance fixes in multi-player. The single player delivers quite well, and the AI is some of the better I've seen in a fps so far.

------------------------------------

Stay tuned for more reviews in the future.


You've just been review'd!


Signed, Exxy

No comments:

Post a Comment