Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fuck you, Swedish healthcare system!

Alright, here it is, the first segment of "Fuck you, X!". My first target will be the Swedish healthcare system, this due to the fact that I don't want to go on a full on rage the first time around. This is more an annoyance about the way patients get treated at _MY LOCAL HOSPITAL_, so I cannot stand for if it is like this all over Sweden, but it's how it is here in town.

Let me tell you a story, so you get a perspective of how my annoyance/light hatred for the lokal hospital came about.

Last tuesday, I had to visit the emergency room due to a sudden loss of hearing on my left ear. I knew the reason why it had happened, and I knew that we had to seek medical attention immediatly. The reason was an ear infection that I have had on and off for the past 3 years, and this time it went so far that one of the infected areas spread to my ear drum and I was completely deafened on one ear.

ANYWAYS, we got ready and went up to the hospital. I get the feeling that they are going to tell me "No, we can't help you tonight, you have to come back tomorrow." But I was preparing to take that fight.


We walk into the emergency room and tell the nurse at the front desk what had happened and told her exactly what needed to be done and that it had to be done fast in order for it to not get worse. She instantly looked at me with a skeptical look and said: "Well, I think you will have to come back tomorrow, we can't really..."


That's where I interuppted her and went into a small rage.


"I knew you were going to say that, so let me counter with this. If we go home, and this gets worse, I will hold you accountable for my lack of hearing, and I will personally make sure that YOU get to pay every single pill that I will need to take during recovery. I work for the same union as you, so I know my god damn rights, and I know what you are allowed to and not allowed to do."


She then proceeded to quickly go talk to a doctor, came back, and told me to wait in the waiting room and said that the doctor will be with us as soon as he can, but it will take a while. I thank her and walk into the waiting room, feeling her eyes looking at me as I walked away.


Then came the fun part. 2 GOD FUCKING DAMN HOURS of doing fuck all and waiting for the doctor. As far as I could see, I was the only fucking patient there apart from an old dude walking back and forth in the halls. I later got to understand that they had ONE.. ONE FUCKING DOCTOR working that night. That's just not acceptable in my eyes.


Luckily, the doctor working was a doctor I had encountered several times before when visiting for the ear infections, but also the doctor that made sure I could get my appendix removed when it was infected, so I had full trust in this guy. 5 minutes after the examination, we got the antibiotics needed, prescription to some ear drops, and everyone was happy.






Now, the rant part of this will be the fact that an emergency room pretty much tells its patients to go home and come back when "they can deal with it". This really sickens me (no pun intended). I mean, what if they would've had two really urgent and serious patients at the same time? Would they just ship one home and say "Come back in the morning when we can deal with you."?


So a big "FUCK YOU!" to the Swedish Healthcare system for cutting down on staff, but a big "FUCKING THANKS, MAN!" to the doctor that made sure I got everything I needed really quick after I was examined.


(Might add that I now have my hearing back, and the infection is almost completely gone.)


I will now relax, drink my chocolate milk (Yes, chocolate milk, fuck you.), and enjoy my music untill Jonny, Adam, Sarah and maybe Nick wants to play some League of Legends.


Smell you later.

Signed, Exxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment