Sunday, November 14, 2010

"Video games make people violent!", My take on this.

Alright, it's my turn to step up to the plate and post my thoughts on the age-old topic of; "Do people become violent because of video games?".

I'd like to start this off to explain my history and relationship to gaming, and give you a bit of backstory to why this subject is repeatedly coming up to discussion with me. Let's get history out of the way.

My first console, and real ENCOUNTER with video games, was a Sega Mega Drive (genesis for you yanks). I got it back in 1994 from my brother when he moved away from home, and with it I got NHL 94 and FIFA 94. From that moment on, I was a gamer. I spent LOADS of time playing video games after school, and I just kept on adding to my arsenal of games. (Might add that I now own well over a 100 Mega Drive games).

In early ages, my Mega Drive was my escape from the harsh reality I was living at the time. Constantly getting picked on at school etc etc. Don't want to go into that shit and make this a emo post. BUT ANYWAY. My Mega Drive allowed me to shut everything else out and become someone else. I could be whatever the fuck I wanted. A NHL player, a vietnam soldier, an olympic gold medalist. This whole era was the reason I became the gamer I am today.

After those times, I've still kept that state of mind when it comes to games. It's an escape from reality that movies and books don't provide in the same way. A truely immersive game is WAAAAAAAAAY better than any book or movie could ever be. The most perfect example, even though I am ashamed of saying it, is World of warcraft. I don't play it anymore (luckily), but it seriously gave me the perfect escape from reality that I wanted. It kept me occupied and distracted from the shit I faced in real life at the time.

So with this said, you now know how I feel about games. A secondary world that lets my imagination run wild and keep me from acting out like a retard in real life.

Now for the topic itself.


The way I see it, gaming is a necessary part of modern society as it is a GREAT way of relieving mental stress and depression. Whenever I get angry, I don't go out and punch some poor old lady across the street, no, I sit down and slam on some hard music and slam down upon computer generated AI. This doesn't hurt anyone, and I get the relief I need.


Now, if you're one of those twats who think "Well, games makes people violent because people HURR DURR BLARGH".


Shut the fuck up.


The reason why people lash out and games get the blame is for one of three reasons.


1. The person in question just happened to play video games on a regular basis, and to be honest, almost everyone are these days. Thus, this point is bullshit.


2. The person in question got no fucking slef-control at all, or is not seeing the game for what it really is: a mother fucking game.


3. The person would've still done the shit they did, but just happened to play a certain game alot, and the act itself could be related (NOTE: IN A VERY WEAK RELATION) to the game.


There is also one argument that I fucking love when people pull:

"Games teaches you how to use guns."



Are you fucking serious?


How will this:


or this:




Teach you how to function and aim this:






It just makes no fucking sense in my mind.


If you want me to add on to this topic, feel free to message me and I'll make a part two on this. I just wanted to cover my basics on the subject.


Signed for now, Exxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment