Monday, November 8, 2010

Drum'n'bass...

Alright. As everybody SHOULD KNOW BY NOW, I am a major drum'n'bass fan. Today, Undead2k (Medic for my Team Fortress 2 team) posted a note on his facebook with a fuckload of DnB songs that I've tipped him about, and I offered to add on to the list with some thoughts of artists and genres in DnB that I like. 

So today, I thought I'd copy and paste that list, and you can browse freely and see if you share my enthusiasm for the style of music.

Allow me to quote myself:

----------------------------------------------

Roni Size.

This is in my eyes the godfather of Drum'n'bass. You need to know of him if you're listening to drum'n'bass. He was also the first DnB artist that I heard back in the day.

His most famous song from the early days is Brown paper bag... from 1997:
Roni Size - Brown paper bag (Original edit)

This song was remastered and remixed in 2008 by Roni Size and got a more modern DnB sound: Roni Size - Brown paper bag (2008 Re-edit)

He has also done several colaborations with major artists along the lines of B-real from Cypress Hill, Zack De la Rocha from Rage against the machine, and Method Man of Wu-tang clan: Roni Size feat. B-Real - Child of the wild west

Roni Size feat Zack de la Rocha - Center of the storm

Roni Size feat Method Man - Ghetto celebrity

He's still doing songs together with his "group" named Reprazent, where he has a line of rappers and vocalists to help him with rhymes and lines on his songs, my personal favourite is Dirty Beats where he has some help from MC Dynamite: Roni Size / Reprazent - Dirty beats

He also has some sick remixes out, none of which have gotten enough attention in my eyes, but there is one of Redman's song "Smash sumthin" that I absolutely love: Axel F and Redman - Smash Sumthin' (Roni Size remix)

----------------------------------------------

While we are on remixes, there are certain artists that do absolutely amazing remixes no matter what song they lay their hands on. One of these artists is High Contrast. All of his/their (not sure if it's one guy or not) are absolutely fuck...ing amazing. Some examples are;

Kanye West - Gold Digger (High Contrast remix)

Calvin Harris - Ready for the weekend (High Contrast remix)

The White Stripes - Blue Orchid (High Contrast remix)

Another artist that I absolutely love for remixes, but is a fucking amazing artist apart from remixes, is Netsky. He's a young artist who really broke through the scene just a couple of years ago, and has preformed miracles with his songs and remixes. Some of my favourite Netsky remixes are;

Miike Snow - Black and Blue (Netsky remix)

Swedish House Mafia - One (Netsky remix)

Underworld - Scribble (Netsky remix)

Then there is a whole bunch of random remixes by other big DnB/Dubstep artists that makes me realize over and over that everything sounds better when being done to DnB songs. Some of these are;

Plan B - Stay too long (Pendulum remix)

Ellie Goulding - Starry Eyed (Dexcell remix)

Owl City - Fireflied (threeAM remix)
 
----------------------------------------------
 
Then we have some of the artists that do some creative and really good stuff with DnB or DnB-like sounds. Some of these artists are Photek, Muffler, Modestep, Nero, TC, DJ Fresh among others. Some examples of their songs are;

(1): Photek - Industry of noise
 
(6): DJ Fresh - Talkbox

1. This song has an action movie sound to it, but still has drum'n'bass in the core of it.

2. Muffler is the type of artist where you can't really place him in a fucking category. He's sort of Liquid DnB, but it sounds too agro to be Liquid in my ears. None the less, amazing artist and track.

3. I know that most people are gonna go "EEEW, DUBSTEP!", but listen through the entire track. It does an amazing turn from Dubstep to Drum'n'bass towards the end of the song. I really liked it.

4. This song is in my eyes a Dubstep song gone DnB. It has so many elements and sounds of a dubstep song over a DnB drumline that it just does an amazing job at merging the two genres. Lovely track.

5. TC is in his own category of Drum'n'Bass. Agressive drumlines mixed with bass and ambience that will fuck your ears out of your head. Just amazing songs across the board.

6. DJ Fresh has never really impressed me that much untill his latest album which, by my standings, IS FUCKING FANTASTIC. There is like, 3 songs that are DECENT, the rest is amazing. So defo check him out.
 
----------------------------------------------
 
I know, I care too much about music, but this was my list of added shit to Undead's note, and I hope you get some gems from this that you can tollerate listening to.
 
Untill next time...
 
 
...signed, Exxy.
 
 
P.S. Thinking of changing my last name to Van Daars. Good / Bad idea? 

No comments:

Post a Comment